Monday, October 15, 2012

Portable hard drive recommendation: Seagate Go-Flex

People often ask me for an opinion on what hard drive to get. They need something simple, portable and good enough to carry their music collection.



My blog pretty much covers fast drive setups such as SSDs and Thunderbolt but for most people, they want something with more storage at a reasonable price.

My recommendation would be the portable Seagate Go-Flex hard drives.

They come in 5400 rpm so they aren't blazing fast but they offer great flexibility and they often go on sale. 1TB normally goes for $70 and can be as low as $60 (discounted at Target). Why do I like them?
Well, I like the detachable end-piece that allows me to connect drives to a variety of different computers.

Picture below is an illustration of what I mean.
You can get end piece connectors that swap out for any computer configuration.

  • Firewire 800 adapter
  • USB 3 & 2
  • Thunderbolt
  • and even eSATA

I have an old Mac Mini and FW800 is the way to go. Some of my PC's have USB 3 so the USB 3 adapter comes in handy. The end pieces are easy to replace and there are even 3rd party docks and adapters that work with the Go Flex drives. You can even park them in and convert them into NAS drives as well. The great thing about Go-Flex is that you can use the adapters on other 2.5" laptop drives. Hence, you don't have to worry about future proofing your investment.


I have 8 of these drives and so far, they work great for storing music and files.



1 comment:

  1. I had a meeting at 9:30 this morning with a guy who bought a building about 7 years ago through another company while I was representing the seller. buffalo ministation thunderbolt

    ReplyDelete