Thursday, February 14, 2013

AMD FX-8320 Vishera CPUs

$150 for an 8-core 3.5GHZ CPU? Well, TigerDirect recently had the AMD FX-8320 Vishera CPU on sale. I have to say, I'm more excited to get this CPU than my Ivy Bridge INTEL i7-3770K.

In general operations, the INTEL i7 will be faster. Maybe 10-20% faster (on certain benchmarks) but it is also twice the price. Make no mistake, the AMD line of CPUs offer a great value and that is why I like to use them.


In most single threaded benchmarks, even the i5s will be faster than the AMD 8-cores. However, when you start running heavily multi-threaded applications, the AMDs are pretty darn good. Running Linux and multiple VMs, they perform very, very well.

Below is a typical workload of running 6 medium size virtual machines (ranging from 2-4GB of usage). I consume on average 20-26GB of RAM out of my 32GB. I can assign separate cores per VM. 
And in general, the VMs run quite well. AMDs make great Linux Dev builds. With a good AM3+ mobo, 32GB of RAM, you can build a nice box for well under $400.





No comments:

Post a Comment